Saturday, August 29, 2009

Micros

I have developed an obsession with the micros. They are often one of the most interesting things I encounter during any given day. Maybe I will study them and write a book. Me and the ice cream man can sit in the back and chat it up and observe people.

One of the best things is showing the driver my matrícula, the thing that sometimes gets me a student discount but does not necessarily have to be honored, by discretion of the driver only. Some of them nod before I can even ask, some try to argue it, some don't say anything and are confused that I have a piece of paper and not a card. Today (the 27th) was the best though- I showed my matrícula and the driver looked at me, listened to my brief memorized script about being an exchange student, and shrugged and was like, sure, why not? He just shrugged at me and gave me the benefit of the doubt, somehow declaring me worthy of a fare reduced by 35 cents. It honestly made my day. This action, however small, was part of the culture for me, the culture of the micro and of Chile. It showed empathy and some form of trust, kindness, not necessarily attributes I would have before associated with bus drivers, but now I do. The passing of the coins, the trust, the politeness factor- how people move over a seat for you or hit the button to stop when you can't reach or yell to the driver if the door is closed on you... it is all amazing and fascinating. I really do want to write a book about it, there is like this distinct micro culture. I wonder if it exists the same way in other cities, in other parts of South America. I will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment