Monday, October 12, 2009

Mundial

Saturday my host mom took me to an herbal therapy session discussion thing, I am not really sure what it was, but it was pleasant. We talked about energy, ate little cookies, anddrank tea. Everyone was fascinated by me, and the good Chilean hospitality was evident. After we had ice cream at the mall, where I learned three things: 1. a lot of Chileans like to eat their ice cream cones with those teenie little spoons (I tried this and nearly scooped it onto the floor), 2. manjar merengue and raspberry go really well together, and 3. when the big fútbol game is on, everyone watches, no matter where you are. When a goal was scored, the entire mall erupted in screeching and screaming and jumpng and crying. The colectivo driver had the radio blasting the game. By the time we got home it was over, I had missed it, but Chile won and qualified for the worlds. Though I did not leave my house I could hear celebrations all around, fireworks, singing, screaming. Everyone was excited. No one in my family watches fútbol, and no one invited me for the game, so I missed out on the culture of it all. I sorely regret this, because now the season is over.


By Sunday I was irrited that everyone this weekend was either sick, tired, or traveling without me, so I took matters into my own hands. I arrived at Muella Barón and sea kayaked around the pier, to the old cement structure with the sea lions on it, flighting the wind. My host mom thinks it is probably the most dangerous thing in the world to go sea kayaking solo, but I was not far from the coast by any stretch of the imagination. I wandered Valpo for a while and settled on the ferria back at the pier for my next activity. There was a science expostion from Germany here, called Túnel de Ciencia, the Science Tunnel. It was packed with displays on cutting edge research from the institues in Germany, on physics, biologial sciences, space science, among others. I stayed until close.

No comments:

Post a Comment