Friday, October 9, 2009

Animales!

After stuffing myself with chicken, I headed to Centro Viña with Dani and German Thomas (aka Thomas el Vecino, the neighbor.) for the animal right protest. I do not regret eating the chicken. It was the worldwide day for animals. I thought ok, we can check this out and it might be interesting. An hour later I was walking with Thomas and Dani through the streets amongst chanting people and excited dogs. I found myself asking how I ended up at an animal rights march in Chile. I will say though that it was well-coordinated; the march took up half of the street while traffic was neatly directed around us. I hoped to not see anyone I knew, and figured it was not a big possiblity anyway because it was a quiet Sunday afternoon, or at least quiet before the chanting of ¨circos sí, pero sin animales!!¨ So who else should I find but Jono and Australia Thomas (known as ¨mentiroso,¨or liar. They thought it was awesome. Thomas: ¨You have never been at a protest before? You suck.¨ They headed someplace to do hw, and I ran to catch up. I ran with dogs, excitedly hurrying to meet the people protesting on their behalf.

I have hardly talked about the street dogs at all. They are part of the city, part of the culture, though of course I wish there were no dogs on the streets, but it is asi. These are for the most part beautiful, healthy, friendly dogs who like to walk with you for company. There are some that are sick, and many that limp, but most seem relatively healthy, like someone´s pet. Just like someone´s pet, but abandoned. In many US cities there are stray cats that wander, here there are dogs. Often when I am by myself they will follow me for quite a while, and I feel bad leaving them to enter a building, because they are good company. Almost every time I walk home from Journal I encounter ¨Rufus,¨ best friend of Jono. I think he remembers us.

No one ever protests eatting rabbits. Ever. Just me. Why aren´t there save the nice fuzzy bunny protests? They have personalities too.

No comments:

Post a Comment