Wednesday, October 28, 2009

forbidden fruit

Tell me I am not allowed and I want to. I have developed an obsession with Valparaíso's cerros. The problem: that I can't visit many of them. There are 40 something in the city, and I have been to about 10. If the neighborhood is moderately safe, I have probably visited there already. The higher hills, the sectors that harbor slums and flaite, where I can't go even during the day even with company, they fascinate me. I want to know why it is how it is. I want to see how people live there. I want to see the places that other exchange students and visitors don't go. But I also don't want to get hurt. What I want to see the most remains off limits.

Laundry. I like that t is hung on houses, outside of the windows, on lines below the windows. Another very "South American" custom? Why do I think that when all over the world people do this? We don't do that at my house in the US, and for that reason it gets me thinking, why do they do it? They don't have dryers. Why? They don't need them, it is a waste of space and energy. Views with colored haphazard houses and laundry, these are the ones I like the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment