Saturday, October 17, 2009

Día del Profe/ Expo Admisión


I woke up late and arrived at St. Liceo 45 minutes later than planned. Probably not the best idea when you received a personal invitation from the principal to a special celebration breakfast. It was Día del Profesores, a day dedicated to celebrating the awesomeness of teachers. Right on. So back to me being late. Apparent I have the ability to sleep through 3 separate alarm clocks, all with multiple alarms. Remember though that in Chile, you can add half an hour to an hour to whatever time you are supposed to arrive and still be on time. Luckily this was the case. It was a catered breakfast, with manjar panqueques (crêpes) and cake. As I walked in there was a student line by which passed the entering teachers, and at the end, my pal Hugo. Again, not accustomed to walking into a room of students and kissing every single one of them, but I love it. The teachers were hardcore into teacher day; they made plans to meet later on for lunch at a restaurant.

After a pleasant teacher day I headed home briefly and headed back to Viña in campus Sausalito for the Expo Admisión. This was like an open house at the university. I helped at the International Programs table with two friends from my language exchange group, Macarena and Carolina, and another exchange student, Diego. Diego is from Mexico originally but now lives in the US, and in fact goes to school in Philadelphia. His accent is a very neutral Spanish, lighter than Chilean, and much easier to understand (though now Chilean is not nearly as hard as it was.) We talked with local prospective students, and then we entertained ourselves when the action died down by stealing oranges from the agriculture table. The oranges were off to the side on the ground, and in order to get them I walked around the table and started talking to one of the students running it while Diego made his move. I have to say that I am not very good at holding back the laughter in any situation, but I made a convincing accomplice. We ate the orange, pinned a note to the peel, and replaced it to its original place. Luckily the other table thought this was hilarious. We compensated by giving them our candy from ours. Diego and I caught the same micro and were in high spirits after the afternoon of fun.

I rounded out my day by heading off to Jun's housewarming party (is housewarming an actual term, or did I make that up? It should not be a real term, it doesn't make any sense) He lives in Viña in one of the massive towers with exquisite apartments, guarded by two or three separate locked gates, and including access via ascensor. The company Jun works for pays for his apartment for security reasons. It is insane; it has a terrance that overlooks Viña, distant Valpo, and the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment