Monday, September 28, 2009

rr

I want to be able to roll my 'r's. At this point in time, I do not have the ability to do it. I hold on the hope that I can learn. It is so pretty. Cerro. Perro. Arriba, Rápido. The Chilean accent, fast and slow, soft and abrasive, so distinct, it is beautiful. I have come to enjoy it as much, if not more, than the Scottish and Australian accents. The Spanish language, it is so beautiful. I just want to sit all day and talk to Chileans, listen to them talk, learn how to roll my 'r's.

I want to be able to dance. I want to be able to salsa. At this point in time I have no salsa ability, but I hold on to the hope that I can learn. Jono said it well: "We are white; were were born to not be able to do this." From a cultural point of view, not from the side of race and ethnicity, this is true. I grew up in a society that dances much differently from latin dancing. Chileans salsa suave, smooth. The pairs are so good at it that they play games while they dance, adding new moves and following each other so it all is made up but looks flawless. I am in awe.

2 comments:

  1. Yo conozco a personas que son capables de esta "r". Pregunta a tu mamá y hermana chilena...

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaja sí, pregunté a ellos pero todavia tengo problemas con el 'rr'... (sigh)

    ReplyDelete