Monday, September 28, 2009

The Blue Danube Waltz

Micros do not run in constant loops. Maybe some do, I really have no idea. But the 504 does not. I took it with the intent of meeting my conversation group in Valpo, but it was headed towards Viña. No problem I thought, I will just wait for it to complete it's circuit. I waited, and it climbed. up up up. To the top of the hills, beyond. Everyone got off, and I knew I was in trouble. We got to what I am going to call a micro station, and the driver kicked me off. I was at the very top, with a spectacular view of Valpo, and an hour's walk from my destination. Lucky for me, colectivos were abundant here.

Between this adventure and being denied the tarifa escolar twice, I opted to take the metro home, both to save money and spend a little more time with Rachel after class. This was the best decision I made all day. You know how the guitar guys play on the micros? Well there was an accordion guy. On the metro, playing the Blue Danube Waltz. On the metro. The Blue Danube Waltz! It was like a movie; I stood gripping the handrail, pensive, thinking and observing the accordion man, the music resonating in the train. Rachel and I looked at each other and broke out in huge smiles at the thought that this kind of thing happens, randomly, in Chile public transportation. To say I was extremely excited is an understatement. I considered riding the metro until he got off too, that is how content I was with this experience. I also enjoy how it is prohibited for the music people to play or sing on the metros, and that they do it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment