Monday, September 28, 2009

micro taxonomy

I have organized micros into several categories, though they overlap and change frequently. The first, micros with Bling. This includes all of the following and more: charms, blinking lights, posters, pictures, flags, more flags, baby shoes, anything. The baby shoes are sometimes ones lost on the micro, later posted up front in hopes that the parent will once again encounter it. I actually saw a micro with a mercedes symbol (like the micro itself), dangling a foot from the ceiling, with a dreamcatcher (atrapasueños) hanging from it.

2. Party micro: any micro that transforms late at night, I expect from Wed to Sat, into a discotec, with flashing lights, bright music, and are packed full of dancers. 3. Music micros, with anything from blasting radios to singing guitarists, flute players, or apparently accordions, and 4. chill micros, quiet and comfortable, these are the ones with padded headrests. Ok they are not that quiet, there are always engine and traffic sounds, but I take this as relaxing background, because all I have to worry about is where I get off, nothing else.

I saw a coletivo with green and blue lights flashing about the interior; a party colectivo. I mean a lot of lights; it was like a lighthouse up on the hill. I considered taking it even though it was going the wrong way. On the micro today, a guitar guy got on and I considered staying on just to hear him play. I got the student fare three times today but not at all yesterday. Sometimes I can recognize the drivers who I know will give it to me, and if I am not in a rush I wait for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment