Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mayita and I finally made it onto a plane bound for Santiago. I tried unsuccessfully to watch 3 movies while on board, but just continued to fall asleep and wake up confused. At 10:30, I was able to see the snowcapped peaks surrounding Santiago, and had my first real strong push of nerves. Mayita walked me through the airport process, and we parted ways after customs, hopefully to meet again. Good thing she was there through the entire 35 hour flight process. After leaving the smog bowl that was Santiago, I was taken to my chilean family in Vina, 50 hours after leaving home. Carmen ran out to greet me, and her and Daniella welcomed me into their nice apartment. I have a view of the city from my room- though an uphill view, still beautiful all the same. Dani took me to downtown ViƱa on a super cheap taxi, part of an amazing public transport system. After buying some supplies at what is possibly the world's largest supermarket, and the largest mall I have ever seen, we headed back to Recreo. There is a beautiful park/plaza right across the street from our house. I watched the sun set over the Pacific from the street right there. Then we ate this great meal of all things breadlike- delicioso. My Spanish is very shaky, not due to the chilean accent or speed, but the modismos, idioms. I was all excited over knowing the word for cake, for instance, but it turns out the Chileans use a different word anyway. Another exchange student, from Denmark, was hanging out with Dani, and her Spanish (and English) is very good, so I hold on to hope for now. More exploring soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment