Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Connections: both the people and the transportation kind

Today began with a tour of the university buildings throughout Viña, then of Valpo. There is not one large campus, but many tiny ones spread throughout the two cities. The oceanography building is literally on top of the ocean. Upon seeing some unfamiliar birds there, I asked around and later found that Garret was familiar with them. As it turns out, he has the same Birds of Chile book that I do, and he mentioned the author by his first name. I excitedly explained that some family friends (the Moultons) who travel the world in search of birds, had this guy, Alvaro, as their guide in Chile. An interesting connection. Then I found another one- as it turns out, Trena of group Q was tutored by Javi for part of the summer. Javi exchanged with Millersville last semester and was my Spanish practice buddy. I also met Thomas, a German exchange student, on the bus. Almost forgot, our group name has become "Garret y los flores..." No se.

Later we explored the beaches and market in Vina. We saw cool sand figures that were actually colored and maintained. I found the cutest thing in the world, an adorable Chilean boy holding a bunny. I talked to him and he gave the bunny to his sister, who chatted with me and permitted a bunny petting. The father was nice too- they were super friendly/adorable. Everyone has been this way, very open and friendly, willing to talk to you.

When I returned to my house from Viña central, I ended up taking a regular taxi, which is not as good because it is more expensive, because I could not find the right micro or colectivo. The driver at one point asked me where to go, and I told him that I had no idea. 20 minutes and 5 or six direction stops later, I arrived safely at Plaza Recreo. That's right, my driver was lost.

On micros and colectivos... I figured it out. It's like they are attached to an electrical track. That is my reasoning for how they are able to make turns at warp speed and power up and down hills, ducking and weaving, without smashing into anything. Let me tell you, anyone who can drive through that is an amazing, and very confident, driver.

After a somehow successful trip to buy a card for my prepaid phone and uber late lunch, I passed time at the house and eventually made my way to Cafe Journal. The coletivos are safe to use for night travel, which makes life easier (don't worry mom). Our group joined up there, and I ran into Thomas again. We chatted and made sure that each of us had a safe ride back to our houses before parting. Downtown Viña at night with friends is both safe and fun, an experience which will likely become regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment